Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Summer is for Flip Flops (Quilt)

Summer is almost here!  Well we know it’s coming but we’re really waiting for Spring to appear and stay.  One day we have 70’s even 80’s and then the next day we have rain, sleet or snow.  Winter just doesn’t want to leave Kansas for some reason.  I know the heat is almost here and I hate hot, hot weather.

This wall hanging I want to share with you today reminds me of Summer.   There are many styles of flip flops, many colors and all ages wear them.  These flip flops are made of bright colors with a flower design in the center.  On the straps I used different yo yo’s, a small circle and a small heart to finish off the straps.  The pattern had small flowers attached to the straps but you could try decorative buttons.   I used an eight inch square for the flip flops and then used the remaining material to make the straps. I then sewed the flip flops and center flower down with invisible thread after adhering them with Seam n Seam.  Templates for the flip flops and leaves (center) were included in the pattern. 

This pattern was in the “Quiltmaker” August 6, 2012 magazine named “Flip Floppy Flower.”  The lady that designed this wall hanging was on a trip to Alaska when she saw flip flops arranged in a giant circle attached to a wall of a shoe store.  This inspired her to make a flip flop flower quilt.  This should tell you that you can take any design from anything and make it into a quilt.

I made this quilt for my friend that owns a quilt shop “Kessler Kreations” in Hillsboro, Kansas.  She sells fabric, quilting supplies, has classes and does beautiful longarm quilting.  She does beautiful custom quilting.  If you’re ever in the area be sure to stop in and see her shop located on Main Street.  It’s really a neat shop.  Oh and she has kits for this flip flop wall hanging available.  Tell her you saw it on my blog. 

Well better get working on my next quilt. Thanks for stopping in and keep checking my blog for new quilt ideas.

Keep Stitchin,

Connie

2 comments: